day 1, a gentle start


Easter in Africa- what a treat.  We awoke early Easter morning and joined the missionaries for a 6am sunrise service.  We felt the darkness of death as we silently awaited the rising sun.  We felt the resurrection of life and the victory over death as we watched the sun rise in the distance.  We joined together and adorned a wooden cross with local flowers.  The beautiful presence of our Lord was so near.  We joined the locals in a celebration of the risen Lord in the local church.  There were many from regions of the world- USA, Kenya, Germany, Canada what a blessing to worship with them.

Today is a holiday in Kenya but it was the start of hospital work today.  Almost every Dr I ran into in the halls had something to pass on.  The full time missionaries are all leaving today and tomorrow for retreat for 2 weeks.  I am joining several other surgeons to fill in for them as they go.  We are leaning on the Lord as we face many situations that we have never handled before.  There are many waiting for care and I see the tremendous needs.  Yet I know the inadequacy of my human abilities.  Who am I that could even begin to help such desperate situations.  It is only by the power and strength of Jesus Christ that I can face each day.  What will raise its head tomorrow?  An end stage tumor, out of control infection, trauma victim?  Lord I put them in your hands.  I am a mere human but you are the Savior of the world and nothing is impossible for you.

12 year old female with out of control sinus infection spread into the orbit pushing the eye down and out.  Intracranial spread also.  We did endoscopic drainage today with donated equipment that we brought.  Please pray that the Lord would go beyond what I was able to do and heal every amount of remaining infection.

2 Corinthians12:9  "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Chase and Jimmy Miller

Popular posts from this blog

Arrived home

First Week

Chebonei Girls High School