Arrived to Tenwek safely

I arrived to Tenwek safely Saturday evening.  This was the easiest trip I have had so far.  I walked right through customs with 2 suitcases of medical supplies and was not stopped!  This was a real answer to pray, Praise the Lord!



The country side remains beautiful!  This is a bridge over the Mara River that I passed over on a hike.  The water levels are high even though the rainy season has not started yet.  Although the land looks green and well nourished the health system is in a disaster.  The Kenyan government has decided to change their national health insurance.  They did this with no preparations in place.  The reimbursement fees are lower and what they will cover is much less.  This all stems from a very impoverished country that has still not recovered from the devastation of COVID restrictions.  Tenwek administration has refused to sign the contract with the government so we are in a virtual strike.  Patients are unable to obtain care and I hear there is real suffering occurring. 

There are threats of impeachment of the vice president of Kenya. This is occurring out of a power struggle between President Roto and his dupty VP.  Many are also feeling that the president should be impeached also.  this is all coming at a time of when Kenya is in the throes of a deep economic and financial crisis. There have been no major uprisings since June so I am praying these proceedings will occur peacefully. 

Tomorrow I will be in clinic with a general surgery resident and family practice resident that will be working with me.  Please join me in prayer that God will make a way for the patients to be seen despite the lack of health insurance.

Popular posts from this blog

First Week

Second week March 2024

Chebonei Girls High School