Life at Tenwek

Joshua 1:9  Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

It has continued to be a battle here.  I am encouraged by the words in Joshua that the Lord is with me.  It has felt a little like trying to walk in quick sand.  But God has been faithful and I felt a real breakthrough on Friday.  I arrived to Tenwek with multiple obstacles to care.  But God has been overcoming them one by one.  It has been one of the busiest trips I have had yet.  I am teaching the second year family practice residents as well as a general surgery resident.  I have operated everyday except my first day so getting the patients seen and scheduled for surgery has been a challenge.  It has been a bombardment of work.  when I showed up for a meal on friday night everyone clapped because I have missed so many meals!

1 Peter 4:12  Do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you.  But rejoice that you participate in the suffering of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when His Glory is revealed.  If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the spirit of glory and of God rests on you.

I am rejoicing in all that God is doing.  There have been many salvations.  Many who have been healed through surgery.  Many who are encouraged.

30 year old HIV+ male with tuberculosis and toxoplasmosis.  he presented with drainage from the left ear.  exam was consistent with probable TB infection of the ear.  he was saddened and ill appearing.  suffering.  His sickness is of death but we discussed the Lord and the assurance he needs of eternal life.  He so desperately wanted more.  He repented and gave his life to the lord.  We rejoice in the ultimate healing.  He will be treated for TB and hopefully this will treat some of his underlying issues.






Elderly female with moderate to severe hearing loss.  I had screened her hearing on my fall trip.  She came in this year with her daughter.  we fit her with donated hearing aids.  she was overjoyed by the ability to hear again.  Her daughter was taught on how to use the aids.  this was a big process but in the end they left rejoicing with the gift of hearing!







35 year old male with left parotid mass.  this has been steadily growing in size.  He had very subtle loss of movement of the face on the affected side.  these signs suggested malignancy.  CT scan imaging was indicative of large mass involving the salivary gland.  On friday he underwent removal of the mass and salivary gland.  Prior to the surgery we always pray.  God revealed to me that He would be present.  He would be the surgeon.  It was a very difficult surgery because of the large mass and difficulty identifying the nerve that moves the face.  But we persisted.  We thanked God when the instruments were not available, when the power went off, and when the cautery machine did not work.  The mass was successfully removed and the patient is recovering well.   All honor and Glory to God!

Thank you for your continued prayers.  Please pray I can continue to lean on Him and not be overwhelmed by the endless flood of work.  That the enemy would be unable to distract me or wear me down.

Chase miller

Popular posts from this blog

Arrived home

First Week

Chebonei Girls High School