First Week

 "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid"

John 14:27


My first week has been full of clinic, emergency room consults and operative cases.  The first 2 days of clinic were chaotic with masses of patients coming in for surgical review.  At 7 pm our first day we realized we would not be able to get through everyone that night.  We had to send them out after waiting all day to find sleeping arrangements in the nearby town.  The next morning we started early and by noon we had seen all of Monday's patients.  We then had all of Tuesday to see that afternoon.  My head was spinning with not only all the advanced diseases but also all the system problems we have to overcome to get someone to the operating theater.  My general surgery resident is a master at working the system thank heavens.  Despite all the issues,  God's peace is with me.  His presence is tangible as I pray for my patients.  As I walk forward into what feels like problems way over my head, He gently directs my path.  

This patient is a 15 year old orphan that lives at a school for the visually impaired.  He is blind and is hearing impaired. His hearing loss is treatable due to holes in his ear drums.  He underwent surgery on Wednesday to repair one ear.  If all heals well I will be repairing the second side on my next trip.


This young man has a large cyst in his upper jaw related to an impacted tooth.  He is working on funding to undergo cyst removal and extraction of the tooth.


Young 30 year old male with recurrent tumor in his neck.  He has had 3 previous surgeries and now has symptoms of weight loss, difficulty walking, abdominal pain, hip pain all suggestive of metastatic cancer.  He is undergoing radiologic work up now.

The stories go on and on.  But God has not forgotten them and He is working everything out on their behalf.  We press forward into what God puts before us believing that He will make a way.

Thank you for your continued prayers.  They are truly being answered.

Chase


Popular posts from this blog

Arrived home

First Week

Chebonei Girls High School