Tenwek update

    Tenwek hasn't changed much.  It is a busy hub with most of my work coming through the casualty area.  Infections seem to be the theme this year.  Patients present in this area with late manifestations of infections.  I know that the full time missionaries are trying to change the culture and educate patients about presenting early but there is still a major problem here.  A typical scenario is family members carrying a patient into the casualty area unconscious and literally barely alive.  Last night I was called to casualty during dinner for a patient with "Ludwigs angina".  This is an infection stemming usually from a dental infection which causes swelling in the front of the neck and pushes the tongue up blocking the airway.  When I arrived on the hospital compound they were pushing the stretcher as fast as they could over the uneven pavement towards the operating theatre.  the patient was drowning in blood and pus from his mouth, his neck and anterior chest wall were swollen with pus.  It was a true battle in the OR to establish a breathing passage.  He had "necrotising fasciitis" a far advanced infection blocking his airway and spreading into his chest.  I am unable to show any photos because of the graphic nature.  He required multiple incisions in his chest and neck with removal of all the dead tissue.  Today he remains in critical condition.  Please pray for Charles he is fighting for his life.

Enock, the 13 year old boy with meningitis from an ear infection also remains critically ill.  His fever is up and down but he is more alert.  Pray that God will have mercy and heal him.

I never feel like I have enough skill or knowledge for this place.  I am constantly seeking the Lord's help and strength.  There is so much sickness and so many barriers to care that it can be hard to endure.  I pray that I can have God's heart for His people and continue to be obedient to what He is asking me to do moment by moment and day by day.

Thank you for joining me in prayer,

Chase Miller

Popular posts from this blog

Arrived home

First Week

Chebonei Girls High School