First Week

 I arrived safely after an arduous journey.  I did get questioned at customs again and needed to pay a Tarif but it was a reasonable rate this time.  I have been without internet until yesterday so I apologize for a late update.

My first week was quite busy in clinic as I screened patients for upcoming surgeries.  We has some late nights but it is great to be back serving the Kenyans.  I have performed multiple biopsies on various tumors.  Unfortunately there is no pathologist here so the biopsies can take up to 3 weeks for results.  We will make daily calls to try to move up the cases urgently.



This patient was ecstatic!  He was diagnosed with severe hearing loss in both ears.  I fit him with a digital hearing aid and he was able to hear clear for the first time in years!  They live 5 hours away and were so blessed!

This is a typical thyroid goiter for this region.  She underwent evaluation of her vocal cords in preparation for upcoming surgery.  This will be a tough one to be done along with the general surgeons.

My first full operating room day was Friday and all went well.  It is always an adjustment to adapt to the way the operating rooms run here.  We performed several laryngoscopes on laryngeal tumors, a tracheostomy for airway compromise and removal of a submandibular gland.  Tomorrow we have a full day with 4 cases including an ear surgery, nasal mass in a child and several tonsillectomies. 

Thank you for all your prayers!

Chase

Popular posts from this blog

Arrived home

Chebonei Girls High School