4th week

 My last week has been full as I try to get all my patients cared for before I leave.  On monday I performed endoscopic sinus surgery on a needy patient with one sided disease.  This is always a red flag that something sinister could be the cause.  fortunately this patient had what appeared to be benign pathology.  She had polypoid disease extending from the front of her nose all the way posteriorly into the pharynx.  All the equipment worked well and I am thankful for a working endoscopy tower.  This is a great need as 2 of the towers I have used in the past are now not working.

In the afternoon, I performed a tympanoplasty to repair ruptured ear drum.  This patient has considerable bilateral hearing loss due to ear drum pathology and previous failed surgery.  All went well and hopefully we will be able to tackle the other side next visit.

Wednesday, I did my first mastoid surgery this visit. This patient has been waiting 2 years for her surgery. The drill and other equipment was all working well.  The donated microscope continues to be a blessing! We are starting to perform chronic ear surgery now at Tenwek and this is a big step.  These patients need frequent post op visits and eventual hearing aids once healed.  My clinical officer has been trained in the post op care needs.

I spent last friday and this thursday fitting hearing aids.  I received hearing aid donations from Opticon and was blessed with 30 programmable hearing aids.  These take longer to fit but were a real blessing to the patients.  Many of the patients have never even heard of hearing aids.  To take someone who can't communicate and place an aid on them transforming their ability to communicate is amazing.  

This patient was thrilled with her new hearing aid and batteries.

On Friday I performed an open biopsy of a parotid mass.  This was a sad story.  The patient lives 6 hours away.  she has a malignant cancer of the parotid gland that is large and painful.  2 previous punch biopsies were non diagnositic.  On Thursday the plan was to remove the mass and perform an upper neck dissection to remove affected lymph nodes.  A cardiac emergency came up and bumped our case to the point where we could not perform the definitive surgery.  I was leaving the next day so all I could offer her was open biopsy.  God definitely closed the door for us to resect the tumor.  She will end up with palliative radiation therapy once we have the results of the biopsy.  God holds these precious people in HIS hands and I know He is so much more able to care for them than I am.

It is hard to leave with so many patients still needing care.  I feel the constant pull to return knowing that I am not enough but God is.  What a privilege to be His hands and feet to those in need.

In His service,

Chase Miller





Popular posts from this blog

Arrived home

First Week

Chebonei Girls High School