Arrived home safely

patients catching some sun outside the ward


We have arrived home safely.  Thank you for all the prayers amongst the turmoil  of the Kenyan reelection process.  We felt safe but there were daily protests mainly in areas of support for the contestant.  the reelection occurred and there was a poor turnout.  this could effect the validity of the election and destabilize Kenya further.  Please keep them in your prayers.

I left my heart in Kenya again!  I have such a love for the people there.  I know that comes from the Lord and I am grateful that he continues to call me to serve the people there.  It was a shortened visit this year because of the elections but despite this much work was done.  there were some unusual cases as usual this year.  My cry to the Lord is please show me who you would have me care for.  some many of the problems are difficult to treat.  The people come trusting for their cure.  That is tough to carry.  I must constantly remind myself that God has brought me there and will never leave my side.  I remember asking a long term missionary once, "how do you know what to take on and what not to?"  so many of the surgical cases are far advanced disease.  and he said, "test the waters and if God equips you, you will know what He is call you to."  This year God showed me clearly that He will never leave me alone and will provide me with all the help needed.  I was working way beyond my own strength.

"MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT FOR MY POWER IS MADE PERFECT IN WEAKNESS"
2 Corinthians 12:9

We started the hearing program at Tenwek.  We have tried several times in the past to get this off the ground but this year the system is working well.  We are performing audiograms on an IPad.  the audiograms will get emailed to me for formal reads.  I have trained our ENT physicians assistant and all seems to be running well.  I already have 1 patient waiting for hearing aid fitting which we will start in March.

testing hearing in elderly kenyan

This patient was one of many who had unresectable cancer.  he presented with hoarseness.  there was a large laryngeal mass involving the voice box and the entire back of the tongue.  In the kenyan culture the diagnosis is discussed with the sons.  they are the ones that will tell the patient when they feel he is ready.  they had traveled 8 hours to hear this news and it was heart breaking.  We prayed for them and the son carried the news silently back on the long journey home.

one of many with unresectable cancer
This patient had a rare tumor of a minor salivary gland in the cheek region.  these are usually malignant but this mass was removed without difficulty and appeared benign.

rare minor salivary gland tumor
Young child with mother in traditional Maasai garb.  they had traveled from the border of Tanzania for airway obstruction from enlarged tonsils and adenoids.

Maasai child for adenotonsillectomy

This patient underwent a hemimandibulectomy for malignant mandible tumor.  I was concerned about adequate equipment and the ability to completely remove the tumor as it extended up into the upper jaw.  The day of surgery the mass was noticeably smaller and resection went well.  she was reconstructed with a plate without difficulty.  Praise the Lord!

large mandibular amelioblastoma

Thank you again for all your prayers.  The enemy was working hard to prevent this work but "He that is in me is greater than he that is in the world"

chase miller



Popular posts from this blog

Arrived home

First Week

Chebonei Girls High School